Thursday 8 May 2008

Black Opal


At last the hand dyed yarn has arrived! Under a week from the US - not bad! All excited, I opened the package to find this lovely wrapped parcel inside. What a really lovely way to present your yarns and it makes you feel a bit special.



Now to the close-ups! My photos look pretty similar to the ones on the etsy shop from yesterday - maybe a bit darker? Anyway, it is lovely and soft to the touch and the blending very subtle - which I like a lot.


I may have to rethink what to knit with this yarn though. I am now thinking Pecan Pie may be too busy for the subtlty of the yarn blending, hohum. I've been looking on Ravelry but nothing seems to fit as yet. Any beret pattern suggestions for a subtle variegated yarn?


I originally intended to buy merino but I liked the colours of this one more. Being superwash wool, at least it will be harder wearing and still have a soft-to-the-touch feel. Also as this is a fine DK/Sport thickness, the verity beret, even at the large size would, I feel, be a bit too small.


Until I make up my mind, at least I can enjoy the beauty of 'Black Opal'. Sometimes the hanks of yarn are lovelier than the knitted outcomes! It is weird how some dyed yarns just work knitted and some so don't! That's probably why I like subtle blends more - they can make a statement without having the shocking clashs of randomness. I know you can use two balls alternately to soften the effect but at £12-15 a pop, that can get expensive!

So, off I go to be selective with my lovely yarn......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Do stay a while and visit. Please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and be inspired by all your blogs out there too:-) elaine xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails