Thursday 26 February 2009

Blue tiger socks

The progress so far on the new tv watching socks! One down and one to go. This is the blue version of the sundae/tiger socks I knitted but instead of all stocking stitch, I used the 3x1 rib from the blue opal socks here as well. I'm not sure I like the rib as much on a larger scale of stitch and after knitting smaller, this a bit too chunky for my tastes now. But you can still see the pattern in the yarn and the rib is an added bit of interest and will make the sock stay up better. I must say though that the sundae/tiger socks don't fall down being in st st.

This is the toe-up, short row heeled pattern I used for both the others with the wrapped and concealed turns on the heel from the Cat Bordhi video on You Tube - there is a link in a previous sock post. The only problem I have is the first and last stitch which you aren't meant to knit. By the time I have decreased and then increased the heel again, these stitches have kind of stretched a bit and they create a hole just at the join where you don't want it. So next time, I'm going to knit them too and see if that solves the problem.

So now onto the second sock - notice I'm starting straight away! No procrastination and second sock syndrome today! I think I've decided to avoid zigzag yarns for socks. I like the more blended versions and they are more individual and subtle! Saying that, I can't wait to knit up the bright Tonks sock yarn but that is going to be stripey! And I love stripes. But the quality look and the professionalism of the final sock does seem to lie in the choice of yarn so if you are going to all that effort, you might as well indulge in a lovely yarn:-) And that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

So onwards with the last zigzag sock and mastering that heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Do stay a while and visit. Please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and be inspired by all your blogs out there too:-) elaine xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails