Thursday 1 April 2010

Baby Knitting progress....


Some baby knitting progress for you. A lot has been going on unfinished behind the scenes over the last few days but now I have managed to snap a few pics for you to see. Just as well I took advantage of the sun as the heavens opened just after I finished and we are back to dull, heavy rain forecast for the whole weekend - sigh! Not quite the start to April I was hoping for weatherwise. But on to the knitting!

First pic is the lovely baby booties - pattern is Saartje's booties. These were a very quick knit and with very simple shaping, you sew these together into booties. I love the crossed strap detailing and I got a chance to use those lovely green apple buttons I've been saving too. I used the fairytale DK 100% wool for these for a sturdier and more durable knit -I'm hoping. The colours were chosen to match a  little dress I've already bought and also to match the lily cardigan I'm knitting.

Progress on the lily cardigan so far.....

This little bolero styled cardigan is based on a magazine pattern but I have modified it heavily substituting their stripes for a lacy pattern and dumping the original frilly edging. So far, I have sewn all the seams and now need to choose an edging that suits this style. I'm thinking a little crocheted scalloped edge all the way around and then a nice button to finish.


I also modified the pattern to knit the body in the round rather than have side seams - as you can see from the blocked pieces. I only had to sew the top seams and inset the sleeves. In theory if this were a solid piece of knitting, this works well but it also means I couldn't mirror the lace patterning for the two front panels so they don't look as symetrically pleasing as I would have wanted.  But maybe it's not too noticeable to everyone else and you know how much of a perfectionist I am!


The lace pattern is a quatrefoil eyelet pattern which is nice and soft, not too lacy and just enough detailing for a solid shape. I stretched this out for the photo so you could see the pattern better but I did relax it a bit when blocking to the right garment measurements, don't worry!! I had fears of stretching this too big and ending up with  6-12months size:-) Lace is so stretchy and I had to remind myself this shouldn't be stretched as much as a lace shawl - habit!


So minus the edging for now, this is what the cardi will look like with the little dress. Now add the booties - all a matching set!


Now, off to finish the edging and then plan a dress or two.....:-)

3 comments:

  1. OMG... how cute is that! What a gorgeous outfit. I can't wait to to see her in it. Thank you soooo much sis! She is such a lucky girlie! xxxx
    (just need her to make an appearance now... come on baby girl x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    This cardigan in very pretty! I loved it!!!

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine.....how beautiful. You have such a talent for knitting. If I could only knit half as well. That is going to be one lucky Baby that gets to wear this little outfit.
    As always I would also like to thank you for your kind words on my blog. I always enjoy hearing from you.
    "Happy Easter"! Are you doing anything special this weekend? Hopefully you will have lovely weather and whatever you do....enjoy.

    Until soon....Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Do stay a while and visit. Please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and be inspired by all your blogs out there too:-) elaine xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails